Monday, April 25, 2011

Memeber Interview: Jessie Howes



Tell us a bit about yourself.
I was raised in a small town in northern California, and graduated from HSU with a BA in Fine arts. After college, I moved to the little town of Hope, Alaska, where I was surrounded by the Chugach Mountains. After three years of midnight sunshine, and sub-zero winters, I decided to return to beauty and comfort of Northern California's Redwoods and beautiful pacific coastline.
 
Describe your work in one sentence.
In one sentence, I would describe my work as a reflection of what I find beautiful.

What pieces are you most proud of? 
Its hard to choose a favorite material since they all have such different characteristics and effects, but one material that I have been exploring recently is precious metal clay. PMC picks up the softest and most delicate impressions, thus allowing me to incorporate natures delicate patterns into my work.



Who or what is your biggest artistic influence?

My biggest artistic influence was probably my Grandmother. She was an artist herself, a potter, who still creates as much as possible. As a child she was constantly pointing out the beauty that exists in even the most simple objects.

What is the best advice you've ever been given?

The best advice I was ever given was "to follow your heart".

If you could add one tool to your collection what would it be?
If i could add any tool to my collection, it would be probably be casting equipment.


What do you listen to in the studio?
In the studio, I often listen to Gillian Welch, her music is soft and comforting and lends itself well to the creative process.

What is your most prized possession?
My most prize possession is my family. I was blessed with an amazing family, and I value them above all else.

How do you spend most of your free time?
I spend most of my free time outdoors. I believe nature has an incredibly strong effect on the soul, and I try to spend as much time as I can in the woods, at the ocean, on trails, in rivers, and in the sunshine.


If you could change one thing about the world what would it be?

If Could change one thing about the world, it would be to have people recognize the importance of protecting our earth and its resources.
 
Where can we see your work?
My Work can be found at Silverblossomarts.com, Little Green Gallery, Easton Maryland, or Dynamic Crystal Store, Sausalito, CA. and At the Humboldt Arts Festival May 14-15.

No comments:

Post a Comment